For the Tamar Valley, Bass Strait and all Tasmanians...
STOP THE TAMAR VALLEY PULP MILL!!! Start time 11.30am.
Join Peter Cundall, Richard Flanagan, Kim Booth and spokespeople from anti-pulp mill groups at a peaceful community protest at the Batman Bridge Reserve.
We are gathering to assert our continued opposition to this mill for the following reasons:
1. Toxic effluent in Bass Strait
2. Threats to the livelihood and lifestyle of thousands of Tamar Valley residents
3. Fresh water usage
4. Possible future use of native forests
5. The draconian and undemocratic Section 11 of the Pulp Mill Assessment Act.
6. Lack of an independent, transparent assessment of a “critically non-compliant” mill
7. Lack of public hearings and community consultation
8. A complete lack of faith in Gunns.
Time: 11.30 start on Sunday 20th March.
Where: Batman Bridge Reserve, Batman Highway, Tamar River.
Transport: There will be buses coming from Hobart and Launceston. For others, car-pooling is strongly encouraged due to parking restrictions. Bus bookings are essential, see bus arrangements below.
What to bring: water, snacks, a folding chair if you wish. BYO banners and placards.
Parents are asked to please keep children under close supervision.
An important note: The change in venue from Gunns' pulp mill site has occurred when they called Pulp the Mill last Friday and made it quite clear they would ask the police to move protesters on if they attempted to go on site.
The role of peacekeeper in a peaceful protest is vital to ensure that there is harmony and to ensure group safety. Peacekeepers must have completed the basic Peaceful Community Protest training.
If you would like to volunteer as a peacekeeper or marshal at the protest, please let Alice or Lucy know.
Northern workshop: Saturday March 19, 2-3 pm at Rowella. Contact Lucy 0417 105390
Southern workshop: Saturday March 19, 4-5 pm in Hobart. Contact Alice 0403 791868
- Buses from Hobart: Alice Graham 0403 791 868
- Buses from Launceston: Frank Rosol 0411 246098 or 63 431111
- Media and general enquiries: Lucy Landon Lane 0417 105390
- Parking logistics: Brian Cooper 0417 952633
- Legals (arrest situation etc.): Karen Weldrick 0418 361 015
EVENT PAGE: Unite On Site events page on Face Book
Bring your friends and family! Forward this email to your trusted contacts!
Pulp the Mill Working Group